Some separated/separating people who have experienced domestic violence can apply directly to the Family Court of Australia.

  • Discuss with your lawyer or social worker whether the domestic violence should indicate a direction application.

Many people find that, by using FDR involving mediation, they can work out post-separation plans. They don’t need a certificate.

  • Plans can involve a property settlement and children’s arrangements. A certificate is not required but can be issued “just in case” [Section 60i].

A few people find that, for a variety of reasons, they have to begin Family Court action.

  • A section 60i Certificate (Family Law Act Regulation) indicates to a magistrate/judge that mediation didn’t occur/shouldn’t occur/did occur orwas halted.