Australia’s annual celebration of community, Neighbour Day is just five weeks away! Now is the time to start organising your event or neighbourhood catch-up. It’s also time to submit your entry to the Neighbour Day ‘Tell Us Your Story’ competition.
The ‘Tell Us Your Story’ competition invites people in communities around the country to share their stories of an extraordinary neighbour, or an amazing neighbourly act. Great neighbours and neighbourhoods exist all over Australia. Sharing these stories is important as they provide inspiration, joy and hope. They also encourage people to become active neighbours.
Relationships Australia manages Neighbour Day. The five principal aims of Neighbour Day are to:
- Strengthen communities and build better relationships with the people who live around us.
- Create safer, healthier and more vibrant suburbs and towns.
- Promote tolerance, respect and understanding.
- Break down community barriers.
- Protect the elderly, the vulnerable and the disadvantaged.
Tell Us Your Story invites you to submit a 500 word story about your neighbours or neighbourhood. The stories must reflect the spirit and purpose of Neighbour Day (as detailed above). For full details of the competition or to enter visit the neighbourday.org website. Competition winners will be announced after 4 May 2015.
The prize pool for Tell Us Your Story includes:
- A $100 gift voucher for the winning entry from each state and territory ($800 total)
- A $300 gift voucher for the overall National winner.
Everything you need to help facilitate your Neighbour Day event is now available on the neighbourday.org website and everyone is encouraged to follow Neighbour Day on Twitter or Facebook to let us know about your exciting plans. This year is the 12th anniversary of Neighbour Day in Australia.
“The community you want starts at your front door.”™
Media contact for Tell Us Your Story competition:
Communications Manager, Relationships Australia (National Head Office)
PH: 0404 839 664